Purpose: The Clarke County Building Department ensures the health, safety and welfare of the residents of the County in relationship to the construction, use and design of buildings and structures through the enforcement of statewide building codes during design and construction.
Hours of Operation: Monday - Friday - 9:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m. [Closed for lunch 11:30 AM- 12:30 PM]
James Royston, II, Building Official
Bernie Thompson, Building Inspector / Code Enforcement Officer
Angie Cather, Office Manager / Permit Technician
101 Chalmers Ct., Suite B
Berryville, VA 22611
Phone: (540) 955-5112
Fax: (540) 955-5170
Permits & Applications
Permits & Applications will be issued and accepted from 9:00 AM - 4:30 PM (Closed from 11:30 PM - 12:30 PM)
Please allow at least ten  business days for all plans review and permit processing. Due to staff constraints, it is recommended that you contact our office in advance.
For all work requiring permits within Clarke County, including the Towns, the department ensures the proper review/approval of design and construction plans, inspections during the construction phase, and final approval of projects for occupancy or use.
The department is responsible for enforcing the 2012 Virginia Uniform Statewide Building Code.
Applications, Forms, and General Information
- Building Permit Application (revised 4/29/2014)
- Electric Permit Application (revised 4/29/2014)
- Gas and Mechanical Permit Application (revised 4/29/2014)
- Plumbing Permit Application (revised 4/29/2014)
- Shrink Swell Soils Policy
- Soils Report Letter of Waiver
- Typical Residential Deck Detail (NOTE: FOR ONE STORY ATTACHED DECK W/O ROOF)
- Structural Cut Sheet
- Asbestos Release Form (NOTE: REQUIRED FOR ALL RENOVATIONS & DEMOLITIONS)
- What You Should Know Before You Hire A Contractor
To schedule an inspection, call (540) 955-5112. If leaving an inspection request on voicemail or sending via fax, please provide the following information:
- Permit number
- Property owner’s name
- Job site address
- Type of inspection
- Date you would like to have the inspection
- Daytime phone #
A minimum 24-hour notice is required for inspection requests.
Monthly Building Reports: See Monthly Reports Section regular meeting packets of the Board of Supervisors.